On a hill overlooking the ancient city, Lincoln Cathedral is one of the most important mediæval buildings in Britain. The earliest part of the exterior is the west front, its three Norman doorways surmounted by an unusual carved frieze from the 12th century, flanked by two towers. A third tower, completed in 1311, houses “Great Tom of Lincoln”, a massive bell weighing more than 5 tons.
The best carvings are of the angels in the 13th-century Angel Choir. Here also, at the top of a column, can be found the carving of the grinning Lincoln Imp. In the main choir, the carving of the stalls and misericords is also worth a look. Through the cloister is the ten-sided 13th-century chapter house, where early meetings of the English parliament were held.